Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Literally literary

Perhaps that is so, literally literature, or so-called narrative journalism, or whatever you wish to categorize me as a content. (See Mark Kramer on Narrative Journalism Comes of Age)

Perhaps my words, or in your words, Saluna's written literature, is purely, literally literary journalism.

I have recently been assigned to feature another subjective to fill in this virtual space in order for you visiting readers to become content with whatever content I wish to feature.

What I have learned, from one of my classes, is that, maybe, I am already a Spy, a Literary Spy.

As you may have all know by now, my dream job is to become a Spy. However, I am still a Student. My current position is, to-study, not yet to-spy-on.

How I thought that I might be a Literary Spy is that, after reading the following points, I found that my class syllabus reader resembles my content a lot:

  1. Literary journalists immerse themselves in subjects’ worlds and in background research.
  2. Literary journalists work out implicit covenants about accuracy and candor with readers and with sources.
  3. Literary journalists write mostly about routine events.
  4. Literary journalists write in an “intimate voice,” informal, frank, human, and ironic.
  5. Style counts and tends to be plain and spare.
  6. Literary journalists write from a disengaged and mobile stance, from which they tell stories and also turn and address readers directly.
  7. Structure counts, mixing primary narrative with tales and digressions to amplify and reframe events.
  8. Literary journalists develop meaning by building upon the readers’ sequential reactions.

This was an adapted foreword, yet again by Mark Kramer, from the book Literary Journalism.

My class syllabus reader explained that a new journalist’s style of writing is, just like my content, “first-person subjective instead of the usual objectivity of traditional journalism,” where I am actually ”taking a more subjective than objective perspective” when providing content for this virtual space you are in.

Then again, this is just a may-be. I don’t know. All I know is that I am no-body at any given moment.

I only have a creator.

No comments: